Zenith Transoceanic H-500 Restore

T/O H500 fresh out of the barn
T/O H500 fresh out of the barn
One wrecked speaker
One wrecked speaker
The main chassis
The main chassis
pulling tubes and surface components
pulling tubes and surface components
H500 Chassis
H500 Chassis
Main band switch assembly
Main band switch assembly
Back view
Back view
Air Variable Cap in good condition
Air Variable Cap in good condition
Lets paint!
Lets paint!
The brass krylon isn't factory, but who cares
The brass krylon isn't factory, but who cares
Shiny
Shiny
Yes, I did polish the tubes
Yes, I did polish the tubes
Tubes!
Tubes!
It's getting there.
It's getting there.

This is my first radio/electronics restoration project, a Zenith Transoceanic H500 short wave receiver, circa 1951. As I have read, the radio is based on an AA5, a 5 tube superheterodyne using 2 1U4s, a 1U5, a 3V4 and a 1L6. I am fortunate that this particular rig has an almost religious following on the Internet, so troubleshooting an restoration tips are very easy to find. The radio was in a barn for the better part of a few decades and had several generations of insects and rodents making a home in it. The speaker cone was completely destroyed, and a nice layer of corrosion covered the chassis. The tubes are still in good condition though, although one of the 1L6's (there was a spare set of tubes) is shot. The selenium rectifier and main power supply filter cap still test good, so those will stay for now until I need to replace them. The bumblebee caps should eventually be replaced, but all in good time. The current status is that after about 10 hours of work, it fires up an receives audio on some of the bands, others are quiet, but lacking a frequency generator, I can't easily verify alignment. Guess I'll be looking for one of those at the upcoming hamfests.