Turnings for the weekend of October 27th

Today I had a chance to experiment with bonding blackwood to bloodwood, a task which gave me headaches this past week. I surmise that the oils in the blackwood significantly weekend the adhesive bond which caused it to fall apart in the drill press. I finally switched to an epoxy instead of a CA glue which fixed that issue. One of the checkerboards uses bloodwood bands, the other a basswood. I wanted to experiment with various color combinations, thus the difference between the two. I also turned a trio of bloodwood slim style pens (I have a lot of bloodwood...woodcraft had a sale).

The rest of the afternoon was spent teaching myself mortis and tennon joints to complete a swank project for Jen for Christmas (no pics yet, I want it to be a surprise for her).